Are you in this for the Long Haul? Take the Organizing Pledge.
Who We Are:
The fossil fuel industry is hoping our movement will lose power as our student organizers graduate. With the Alumni Divestment Network, we’re proving them wrong. The ADN is committed to uniting and supporting post-college folks to continue organizing for climate justice. We are building a network of current students and post-college folks to expand the power and potential of our movement beyond the limits of the campus. Rather than diminishing in power as student organizers graduate, our movement will grow exponentially stronger as student leaders become movement organizers for the long-haul.
The fossil fuel divestment movement is mobilizing, politicizing, and training hundreds of youth leaders across the country. Until now there have been few ways for folks to engage after graduation. Alumni are the great untapped resource of our movement, with the potential to lend significant power to the fossil fuel divestment movement and other climate justice initiatives. This network seeks to build political community among post-college folks, develop the skills and leadership of young organizers, leverage alumni power for divestment wins, and bridge the movement to organizing possibilities beyond divestment.
Check out our Principles for more insight into what we believe and how we organize.
What We Do:
1) Building Political Community:
- Providing support and developing resources for financially, emotionally, and physically sustainable organizing
- Furthering political education beyond the classroom through the Climate Justice Reading Group
- Mentoring college seniors in their transition into post-college organizing
- Building deep relationships among divestment movement alums to continue expanding the power and breadth of the divestment network
2) Leveraging Alumni Power for Student Divestment:
- Assess the needs of student campaigns and determining strategic ways to leverage young alumni organizing capacity to support the student movement
- Goal of building self-sufficient alumni organizing team to leverage power for the student movement
3) Organizing Beyond Divestment:
- Over the next two years, the ADN aspires to bridge the gap between campus divestment campaigns and off-campus climate justice organizing. We envision establishing local hubs of action across the country, led by alums, students, and local frontline community organizations to fight the fossil fuel industry and build a just transition to an economy for people and the planet.
How To Get Involved:
We invite all post-college folks and current students who have been involved in student divestment organizing to join the ADN. We use the term "alum" to broadly include all folks who have graduated and those who have not - all are welcome! Fill out the form below to join us! Please contact us with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org